RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME: CIVIC EDUCATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – THIRD TERM EXAMINATION
TOPIC: National Honour Awards
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
- define the concept of National honours;
- state types of National Honours Award.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Newspaper cutting
- Video clips
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
NATIONAL HONOURS AWARD
National Honours Award is an award on members of the society for their contributions towards national development.
These awards were instituted by the National Honors Act No. 5 of 1964, during the First Nigerian Republic, to honour Nigerians who have rendered service to the benefit of the nation.
TYPES OF NATIONAL HONOURS
GCFR – Grand Commander of the Order of the Federal Republic. This honour is meant for the President and Vice-president, including Military Heads of State of Nigeria and Chiefs of General Staff.
GCON – Grand Commander of the Order of the Niger. This honour is meant for the Chief Justice of Nigeria and the President of the Nigerian Senate.
CFR – Commander of the Federal Republic of Nigeria – President
CON – Commander of the Order of the Niger. This honour meant for Justices of the Supreme Court of Nigeria
OFR – Order of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
OON– Officer of the Order of the Niger.
MFR – Member of the Order of the Federal Republic.
MON – Member of the Order of Niger.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Guides the pupils to define National Honours Award;
- Assists pupils in mentioning the various National Honours Award bestowed on deserving members of the society;
- Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the discussion.
- Gives examples of such awardees in your community;
- Pupil’s Activities – Response to the questions and answers.
- explain what is National Honours Award;
- mention and explain types of National Honours Awards.