READING AND WRITING
SECOND TERM/WEEK 8
THEME – GRAMMATICAL ACCURACY
TOPIC – FILL IN THE GAPS WITH WORDS
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to:
1. choose appropriate words from a given list;
2. fill in the gaps in sentences to make the sentences meaningful.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Course book
2. Passage from other sources
3. Flash cards
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Short passages with blank spaces to be filled in with appropriate structural and lexical items selected from a given list.
Seun and Michael are good friends. They often play roughly. Seun _____________ (tries/tried) to sit on a chair. Michael _____________ (pull/pulled) the chair.
Seun _____________ (falls/fell) on the floor. Michael _____________ (laughed/laughs) at him. Their teacher _____________ (was/is) angry with Michael. He beat him.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Writes a short passage leaving blank spaces in between;
Pupil’s Activities – Read the passage and get the meanings.
3. Provides pupils with a list of words and expressions of which some are appropriate to fill in the blanks, guides and supervise pupil’s activities;
Pupil’s Activities – Choose the right words to fill the blank spaces to make sentences meaningful.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupil to –
1. do written work;
2. make the right choice of words, objects to fill in the blank spaces;
3. fill in the blank spaces in sentences to make the sentences meaningful.
4. Attempt all the questions below –
WORK BOOK (WEEKLY ASSIGNMENT)
Seun and Michael are good friends. They often play roughly. Seun _______1______ (tries/tried) to sit on a chair. Michael ______2_______ (pull/pulled) the chair.
Seun _______3______ (falls/fell) on the floor. Michael _______4______ (laughed/laughs) at him. Their teacher ______5_______ (was/is) angry with Michael. He beat him.