THEME – AGRICULTURE
PREVIOUS LESSON – IMPORTANCE OF AGRICULTURE II
TOPIC – PROBLEMS OF AGRICULTURE/SOLUTIONS TO THE PROBLEM OF AGRICULTURE
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor): list and explain the problems of agriculture in Nigeria.
High of cost of agricultural products in the market.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of: simple chart or pictures showing the problems of Agriculture in Nigeria.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
Meaning of Agriculture, Importance of Agriculture, Problems of Agriculture, Scheme of Work on Agriculture – first term – second term – third term
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
In spite of the fact that more 60% of the total population of West Africa is involved in agriculture, small scale farming still exists and their productivity is low compared with some advanced nations where less than 20% of their population engage in agriculture and produce enough food for rest of the population.
This can be attributed to the following reasons –
- The use of crude implements such as hoes and cutlasses.
- Unstable government policies.
- Illiteracy and ignorance.
- Lack of medical facilities in the farm setting.
- Inadequate credit facilities.
- Little or lack storage facilities.
- Bad road and poor transportation system.
- Problems of land tenure system.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Explain briefly each of the problems named
- Pupil’s Activities – Mention what they know as the problems of agriculture to the community.
- Discusses with the pupils, solutions to each problem of agriculture.
- Pupil’s Activities – State the solutions to each problem of agriculture.
- Give a board summary;
- Pupil’s Activities – Copy board summary.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to –
WORK BOOK (WEEKLY ASSESSMENT)
Attempt all the questions
Mention 5 problems of agriculture.
Give one solution to each of the problems mentioned.