PREVIOUS LESSON – Steaming Method of Cooking (Primary 5)
TOPIC: FRYING METHOD OF COOKING
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. discuss the different frying methods.
2. state advantages and disadvantages of frying method.
The pupils are required to already know how to cook.
Related links – Boiling methods, Steaming Method of Cooking
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Charts showing the different cooking methods.
2. Food ingredients for meal preparation.
3. Cooking pot, stove, oven, frying pan, etc.
4. Relevant books.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Frying method is the method of cooking food in hot oil, e.g. fish, meat, plantain, etc.
TYPES OF FRYING
1. Shallow frying – is frying in a little oil or fat, e.g. pan cake, egg, etc.
2. Deep frying – is frying in plenty oil or fat, e.g. bean cake, chin chin, etc.
ADVANTAGES OF FRYING METHOD
1. It is a quick method of cooking.
2. It is very tasty and flavoured.
DISADVANTAGES OF FRYING METHOD
1. It requires careful and attention.
2. It is not suitable for infant and aged.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guides discussion on frying methods of cooking.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the discussions.
3. Gives a board summary.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy the board summary.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. state 2 advantages of frying method.
2. state 2 disadvantages of frying method.