PREVIOUS LESSON – Frying Method of Cooking (Primary 5)
TOPIC: ROASTING METHOD OF COOKING
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. discuss the roasting methods.
2. state advantages and disadvantages of roasting method.
The pupils are required to already know how to cook.
Related links – Boiling methods, Steaming Method of Cooking, frying method of cooking , Stewing Method of Cooking.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Charts showing the different cooking methods.
2. Food ingredients for meal preparation.
3. Cooking pot, stove, oven, frying pan, etc.
4. Relevant books.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Roasting method is the method of cooking food in dry heat by any of:
1. Open fire – maize, fish, etc.
2. Heated sand – groundnut
ADVANTAGES OF ROASTING METHOD
1. It is quick to digest.
2. It retain flavour.
DISADVANTAGES OF ROASTING METHOD
1. Food tends to shrink during roasting.
2. Requires constant attention.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guides discussion on roasting methods of cooking.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the discussions.
3. Gives a board summary.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy the board summary.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – baking method of cooking.
1. state 2 advantages of roasting method.
2. state 2 disadvantages of roasting method.