TOPIC: Civil Society
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
- Explain civil society.
- Identify the characteristics of civil society.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Pamphlets on civil society
- Pictures of the church, mosque, etc.
- Video clips on activities of civil society
- Photograph of civil society activities.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
THIRD TERM RELATED POSTS –
- our duties and Obligations to governments,
- duties and obligations of citizens to government,
- pressure groups,
- social injustice,
- communicating social injustice to leaders,
- advantages and disadvantages of pressure groups,
- attitudes to work,
- workers protesting against inadequate payment,
- civil society groups,
- some civil society groups organizations in Nigeria,
- moral education and importance of moral education.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
CIVIL SOCIETY GROUPS
Civil Society Groups are groups formed to ensure good governance, check abuses by governments, groups or individuals and mobilize for social economic and political awareness and participation.
CHARACTERISTICS OF CIVIL SOCIETY
These include –
- Checking abuses
- Active participation in social issues
- Alternative to political parties
- Training for leadership
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Guides pupils to mention civil society groups in the communities;
- Pupil’s Activities – Name various social groups in their community.
- Leads pupils to find out from their parents what the social groups do;
- Pupil’s Activities – Discuss the activities of such groups.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – some civil society in Nigeria.
- Explain the term civil society.
- Identify 3 characteristics of civil society.