RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – CIVIL SOCIETY
PREVIOUS LESSON –
TOPIC: MEANING AND CHARACTERISTICS OF CIVIL SOCIETY
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. Explain civil society.
2. Identify the characteristics of civil society.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Pamphlets on civil society
2. Pictures of the church, mosque, etc.
3. Video clips on activities of civil society
4. Photograph of civil society activities.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
Relevant link – Third Term Scheme of Work and Plan Lesson Note for Civic Education Primary 4, Primary 5 and Primary 6 Links
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION
MEANING OF CIVIL SOCIETY
A civil society is a group or organization working for the interest of the citizens.
They are formed to ensure good governance, check abuses by governments, groups or individuals and mobilize for social economic and political awareness and participation.
CHARACTERISTICS OF CIVIL SOCIETY
These include –
1. Checking abuses
2. Active participation in social issues
3. Alternative to political parties
4. Training for leadership
LESSON TWO – WEEKLY ASSESSMENTS
As stated in performance objectives or lesson evaluation.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guides pupils to mention civil society groups in the communities;
3. Pupil’s Activities – Name various social groups in their community.
4. Leads pupils to find out from their parents what the social groups do;
5. Pupil’s Activities – Discuss the activities of such groups.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – some civil society in Nigeria.
1. Explain the term civil society.
2. Identify 3 characteristics of civil society.