PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
PREVIOUS LESSON – PATHOGEN DISEASES AND THEIR PREVENTION
TOPIC – Signs and Symptoms of Diseases
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
- differentiate between sickness and illness.
- differentiate between signs and symptoms.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Flip Charts
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book – Fitness and Fun – Physical and Health Education Course Book 5
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
Third Term Related Posts
Scheme of Work Related Posts
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF DISEASES
Diseases are illness and sickness that pain and discomfort.
DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN SICKNESS AND ILLNESS
MEANING OF SICKNESS
Sickness is the state of being unhealthy.
MEANING OF ILLNESS
Illness is a disease or sickness affecting the body or mind because an organ or part is unable work normal.
DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
Signs and symptoms, both are indication of abnormalities that require medication or medical attention.
SIGNS are diseases identified by other people. For examples – skin rash or lump, etc.
SYMPTOMS are the feeling described by the patient. For example back pain or fatigue, dizziness, etc.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Leads pupils to identify the differences between – sickness and illness, signs and symptoms.
- Pupil’s Activities – Take part in the discussions and group activities.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Communicable and Non – Communicable Diseases.
- differentiate between sickness and illness;
- state the difference between signs and symptoms.