PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME: DRUG EDUCATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN DRUG MISUSE AND DRUG ABUSE
TOPIC – Drug Education
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
- List three substances that can be Abused
- Mention two substances that are regarded as drugs
- Give two examples of poisons
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of charts showing various drugs.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
SUBSTANCES THAT ARE REGARDED AS DRUG ABUSE/SUBSTANCES THAT CAN BE ABUSED
- Marijuana – Indian hemp (we-we, igbo, grass)
- Alcoholic drinks (ogogoro, kai-kai)
- Kola nut
- Palm wine
EXAMPLES OF POISONS
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Discusses the following with pupils – substances regards as drugs;
- Pupil’s Activities – Participate in class discussion on substances regards as drugs.
- Gives examples of poison;
- Pupil’s Activities – Gives examples of poison.
- Questions and answers;
- Pupil’s Activities – Listen, ask and answer questions.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – revision, test and examination.
- List three substances that can be abused.
- Michael: Mention 2 substances that are regarded as drugs.
- State 2 examples of poisons.