COMPUTER STUDIES (INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY)
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
PREVIOUS LESSON – SECOND TERM EXAMINATION COMPUTER STUDIES BASIC 3
TOPIC – Storage Devices
- Internal Storage Devices
- External Storage Devices
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
- explain the term storage device.
- identify types of computer storage devices.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Hard Disk
- Floppy disk
- Compact disk
- Flash disk
- Magnetic tape
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Storage devices are parts of computer systems.
MEANING OF STORAGE DEVICES
Storage devices are devices where data or information are storage.
TYPES OF COMPUTER STORAGE DEVICES
- Internal Storages
This is the main storage device inside computer system. It is called primary storage. There two types of internal storage devices –
- RAM (Random Access Memory)
- ROM (Read Only Memory)
- External Storages
This is the secondary storage devices. These storage devices are removable.
They include –
- Compact disk (CD – ROM)
- Memory card
- DVD – ROM
- Flash Drive
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Displays and explain a system unit on the table.
- Pupil’s Activities – Identify and explain a system unit on the table.
- Shows pupils types of storage devices.
- Pupil’s Activities – Examine the storage devices on display.
- Guides pupils to list types of storage devices
- Pupil’s Activities – Make attempts to mention types of storage devices.
- Writes short notes on them.
- Guides pupils to identify different types of computer storage devices.
- Pupil’s Activities – Identify different types of computer storage devices.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Identification of types of storage devices
1. Mention 2 types of storage devices.
2. Gives 2 types of internal storage.
3. List 4 types of external storage.
4. Identify and name the following storage devices.