THEME: AGRICULTURAL TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
PREVIOUS LESSON – ANIMAL FARM TOOLS
TOPIC – Simple Farm Tools
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to identify and describe the farm tools.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Different farm tools e.g. hoe, cutlass, spade, shovel, rake, pick axe, wheelbarrow, fishing nets, hook and line, baskets, watering troughs, feeding troughs, etc.
- Poster, charts and pictures of farm tools.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book – Basic Agriculture for Primary Schools Pupils’ Book Four
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information – LEGIT.NG INFOGUIDENIGERIA.COM
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Farm tools are the equipments that are used for clearing, cultivating, planting, harvest, etc. on the farmland.
Examples of crop farm tools are the cutlass, hoe, rake, garden fork, spade, shovel, axe, pickaxe, wheelbarrow, secateurs, shears, sickle, head pan and watering can.
DESCRIPTION OF FARM TOOLS
Cutlass has two main parts. The wooden handle and metal blade with sharpened edge.
Axe also has two main parts. The wooden or metal handle and metal blade with sharpened edge used for cutting trees or sliding wood.
Hoe has a long handle attached to a metal blade. It is used clearing, cultivating and planting of crops.
- Watering can
A watering can is a portable plastic or metal container. It has a handle and a spout, used to water plants by hand.
Most shovels has a hallow and broad blade with a rectangular or round edge fixed to a handle.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Displays and lets the pupils describe the farm tools in class.
- Pupil’s Activities – Identify and describe the farm tools.
- Give a board summary.
- Pupil’s Activities – Copy board summary.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Assignment – draw farm tools.
- Next Lesson – Major uses of farm tools
Pupils to list and describe 4 farm tools.