THEME: AGRICULTURAL TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
PREVIOUS LESSON – DESCRIPTION OF FARM TOOLS
TOPIC – Major Uses of Crop Farm Tools
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to identify and describe the farm tools and their uses.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Different farm tools e.g. hoe, cutlass, spade, shovel, rake, pick axe, wheelbarrow, fishing nets, hook and line, baskets, watering troughs, feeding troughs, etc.
- Poster, charts and pictures of farm tools.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book – Basic Agriculture for Primary Schools Pupils’ Book Four
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information – LEGIT.NG INFOGUIDENIGERIA.COM
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Farm tools are the equipments that are used for clearing, cultivating, planting, harvest, etc. on the farmland.
Examples of crop farm tools are the cutlass, hoe, rake, garden fork, spade, shovel, axe, pickaxe, wheelbarrow, secateurs, shears, sickle, head pan and watering can.
MAJOR USES OF FARM TOOLS
- Cutting tools (cutlass, machete, knife, axe, sickle, etc.) are for used –
- Cutlass – Cutting bushes and small trees.
- Knife – Harvesting vegetables, such as okro, etc.
- Axe – Felling trees and splitting wood.
- Sickle – Harvesting rice and fodder for animals.
- Digging tools (Hoe, Pick axe, Spade, Garden fork, Hand trowel, Digging fork) are used for –
- Hoe – Clearing weed, cultivating farmland, planting and harvesting.
- Pick axe – Digging and breaking stones.
- Shade – Removing soil or trash, dig canals, etc.
- Hand towel – Loosening the soil around plants.
- Carrying tools (Basket, Head pan, Wheel barrow, Bag) are used for –
- Basket, and head pan – Carrying farm produces.
- Wheelbarrow – Remove trash, haul fertilizers, manures and planting materials.
- Bag – Carrying and packaging farm produces.
- Gathering tools – Rake is used for cleaning the ground and level the topsoil.
- Watering tools (Watering can, Water hose, Bucket, Water tank) are used for – Watering plants.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Displays the farm tools in class.
- Pupil’s Activities – Identify farm tools.
- Helps pupils to identify farm tools and their uses.
- Pupil’s Activities – Identify farm tools and theirs.
- Demonstrates the use of farm tools.
- Pupil’s Activities – Use some farm tools on the school farm.
- Give a board summary.
- Pupil’s Activities – Copy board summary.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Assignment – Draw a farm using any of the farm tools.
- Next Lesson – Description of Animal Farm Tools
- list 4 farm tools.
- state the uses of hoe, hand trowel, rake, matchet, on the farm.
- mention the uses of wheel barrow, watering can, head pan in the farm.