PRE – VOCATIONAL STUDIES
PREVIOUS LESSON – SIMPLE DECORATIVE STITCHES
TOPIC: Practical Work on Brown Paper – Satin Stitches and French Knot
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
- describe the steps in making decorative stitches – satin stitches
- produce articles using the different types of stitch
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Charts showing stages of making stitches
- Pieces of fabric for making stitches
- Sewing tools – needle, pins, tapes…
- An album showing stages of making temporary, permanent and decorative stitches
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
PRACTICAL WORK ON BROWN PAPER – SATIN STITCHES
This is simple stitches to work but take a practice to get smooth surfaces and neat edges.
- Mark an outline
- Work stitches closely together across the outline.
- Take care to keep a neat edge.
PRACTICAL WORK ON BROWN PAPER – FRENCH KNOT
- Bring the thread out at the required position.
- Hold thread down with left thumb and encycle thread twice or more with the needle.
- Hold the thread firmly, twist needle back to the starting point.
- Insert it close to where the thread first come.
- Put the thread through the back and secure a single knot or pass on to the position of the next stitch.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Demonstrates the process of making decorative stitches – satin stitches.
- Pupil’s Activities – Practice the making of decorative stitches – satin stitches.
- Use different types of stitches in producing food cover, pillow slips/cases, head band.
- Pupil’s Activities – Produce articles using different stitches.
- Give a board summary.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Herring Borne and Stem Stitches
- describe the steps in making stitches – satin Stitches and French Knot
- make specimens of decorative stitches.