PRE – VOCATIONAL STUDIES
PREVIOUS LESSON – PRACTICAL WORK ON BROWN PAPER – SATIN STITCHES AND FRENCH KNOT
TOPIC: Practical Work on Brown Paper – Herring Borne and Stem Stitches
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
- describe the steps in making decorative stitches – herring Borne and stem stitches
- produce articles using the different types of stitch
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Charts showing stages of making stitches
- Pieces of fabric for making stitches
- Sewing tools – needle, pins, tapes…
- An album showing stages of making temporary, permanent and decorative stitches
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
PRACTICAL WORK ON BROWN PAPER – HERRING BORNE
- Make a running stitch on a single material just below raw edge and a little way to the right.
- Bring the needle out beneath the end of back a stitch mode double fabric.
- Take the next running stitch in double materials a little to the right.
- Bring out above the end of the first running stitch.
- Continue working on stitches this way.
PRACTICAL WORK ON BROWN PAPER – STEM STITCHES
Stem stitches are often used as an outline stitches.
- Bring the needle out on the line to be stitched.
- Put the needle in a short distance along the line and bring it out half way down.
- Keep the thread on the right hand side of the line.
- Work from left to right, taking small regular stitch along the line of the design.
- Let the thread come out on the left side of the previous stitch.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Demonstrates the process of making decorative stitches – satin stitches.
- Pupil’s Activities – Practice the making of decorative stitches – satin stitches.
- Use different types of stitches in producing food cover, pillow slips/cases, head band.
- Pupil’s Activities – Produce articles using different stitches.
- Give a board summary.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Blanket or Loop stitches
- describe the steps in making stitches – herring Borne and stem stitches
- make specimens of decorative stitches.