PRE – VOCATIONAL STUDIES
PREVIOUS LESSON – PROCESS OF BASIC STITCHES
TOPIC: Basic Stitches
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
- describe the steps in making both temporary, permanent and decorative stitches.
- produce articles using the different types of stitch
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Charts showing stages of making stitches
- Pieces of fabric for making stitches
- Sewing tools – needle, pins, tapes…
- An album showing stages of making temporary, permanent and decorative stitches
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
SIMPLE DECORATIVE STITCHES
Simple Decorative stitches are tiny pieces of thread art work on fabric.
TYPES OF DECORATIVE STITCHES
- Herring borne
- French Knott
Display of some decorative stitches on brown paper.
PRACTICAL WORK ON BROWN PAPER – CHAIN STITCHES
Chain stitches are connected stitches that form a chain.
- Bring needle out of the line to be stitched
- Hold the thread to the left.
- Put the needle back to where it has just come out.
- Bring it out in short space further down.
- Press the thread under the needle from left to right.
- Draw the needle through to form the first link of the chain.
- Put the needle back into the material just inside the link.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Demonstrates the process of making temporary, permanent and decorative stitches.
- Pupil’s Activities – Practice the making of decorative stitches.
- Use different types of stitches in producing food cover, pillow slips/cases, head band.
- Pupil’s Activities – Produce articles using different stitches.
- Give a board summary.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Practical Work on Brown Paper – Satin Stitches
- describe the steps in making stitches.
- make specimens of decorative stitches.