PRE – VOCATIONAL STUDIES
PREVIOUS LESSON – PERMANENT STITCHES
TOPIC: Process of Basic Stitches
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
- describe the steps in making decorative stitches – chain stitches.
- produce articles using the different types of stitch
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Charts showing stages of making stitches
- Pieces of fabric for making stitches
- Sewing tools – needle, pins, tapes…
- An album showing stages of making temporary, permanent and decorative stitches
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
PROCESS OF BASIC STITCHES
3. Back stitches – These are used for joining two or more pieces of fabric together by using hand instead of machine. It is called handmade stitches.
4. Temporary stitches – There are used for joining materials temporarily before a permanent stitch in made. They are removed as soon they have served their purposes.
USES OF STITCHES
- It is used for joining two or more pieces of materials together.
- It is used for mending clothes.
- It is used for embroidery, making design and decoration.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Demonstrates the process of making temporary, permanent and decorative stitches.
- Pupil’s Activities – Practice the making of temporary, permanent and decorative stitches.
- Use different types of stitches in producing food cover, pillow slips/cases, head band.
- Pupil’s Activities – Produce articles using different stitches.
- Give a board summary.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Simple Decorative Stitches
- describe the steps in making stitches – chain stitches.
- make specimens of temporary, permanent and decorative stitches.