BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- Lesson One – Identification of Materials
- Lesson Two – Types of Materials
- Lesson Three – Uses of Materials
- Lesson Four – Note, Revision/Test
TIME – 40 Minutes each.
By the end of the lesson, pupils should be able to:
- identify materials used in technology.
- list types of wood, metal and plastic.
- state what these materials are used for.
Technology means any invention, including tools, machines, materials, techniques, and sources of power that makes work and lives easier for the people. These invention are made of materials like wood (hoe, cutlass, baskets, building, etc.), metal (hoe, cutlass, building, etc.) and plastic (electronics, chair, box, etc.). In the lesson, the pupils will be able to appreciate and identify materials in technology.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Pieces of metal
- Sample of various technologies for identification of material types.
No materials, no technology. Technology is everywhere and affects the ways we live, play and learn. Materials are important components of technology. People choose technology sometimes based on materials – wood, metal or plastic. The pupils are all aware and can identify different materials of various technologies.
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Lagos State Scheme of work
- New Method Mathematics Book 6
- All Relevant Materials
- Online Materials
ASEI PDSI LESSON NOTES
- LESSON DEVELOPMENT – NOTE ON MATERIALS (TYPES)
MEANING OF MATERIALS
Materials are resources used in making products of technology.
TYPES OF MATERIALS
- Wood materials
- Metal materials
- Plastic materials
EXAMPLES OF PRODUCTS MADE FROM WOOD MATERIALS
Products made from wood materials are bows and arrows, shelter, canoes, furniture, doors and windows, pallets, bridges, electric poles, etc.
EXAMPLES OF METAL MATERIALS
Products made from metal materials are bolts and nuts, chairs tables, tools, cylinder, pipes, roofing sheets, pots, spoons, containers, etc.
EXAMPLES OF PLASTIC MATERIALS
Products made from plastics materials are rulers, toothbrushes, electronics, shirt and blouses buttons, plastic pipes, etc.
USES OF MATERIALS
As stated in examples of wood, metal and plastic materials.