BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
WEEK 2/PRIMARY 6
WEEK 3/PRIMARY 5
- Lesson One – Meaning of Safety
- Lesson Two – Causes of Accident and Objects that Causes Accident
- Lesson Three – Prevention of Accident
- Lesson Four – Some Safety Devices
- Lesson Five – Revision and Test/Note
TIME – 40 Minutes each.
By the end of the lesson, pupils should be able to:
- define safety;
- state two causes of accident;
- state some objects that causes accident;
- Mention three prevention of accident;
- list some safety devices.
Safety means keeping yourself and others free from harm or danger. That’s being careful not to fall, bump or run into things. The concept of safety will enable the pupils to understand and appreciate the importance of safety and how to avoid accidents by being careful with what you are doing.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Safety devices
- Hand gloves
- Eye shield
- Reflective caution triangle
- Road Safety Manual.
Accidents are unplanned or unexpected events that happen to human beings. Accidents can happen everywhere, for example, in the schools, homes, roads and markets. To prevent accidents, safety precautions are the keys. The pupils considered safety as means of preventing accident and take precautions, when at home or school.
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Lagos State Scheme of work
- New Method Mathematics Book 6
- All Relevant Materials
- Online Materials
ASEI PDSI LESSON NOTES
- LESSON DEVELOPMENT 4 – As in Lesson Development 1
- LESSON DEVELOPMENT 5 – NOTE
MEANING OF SAFETY
Safety means keeping yourself and others free from harm or danger. That’s being careful not to fall, bump or run into things.
MEANING OF ACCIDENT
Accidents are unplanned or unexpected events that happen to human beings. Accidents can happen everywhere, for example, in the schools, homes, roads and markets.
- Falling objects
- Electric Shock
CAUSES OF ACCIDENT
- Running or playing football on a slippery floor.
- A leaking gas cylinder.
- Children playing with matches.
- Use of naked light near a petrol container.
- Careless use of boiling rings.
- Leaving water taps open when there is no water.
- Slippery football field.
- Use of naked electric wire in laboratories and classrooms.
- Failure to keep the school premises clean and tidy.
OBJECTS THAT CAUSES ACCIDENT
- Broken bottles or plastic
- Broken chair or table
- Broken glass
- Naked wire
PREVENTION OF ACCIDENTS
- Do not allow children to run around on slippery floors.
- Help old people to climb and descend staircases.
- Children should not operate gas cylinders.
- Keep all medicines out of reach of children.
- Disconnect all electrical appliances when not in use.
- Always lock water taps when not in use.
- Do not play on waterlogged football field.
- Keep the school compound clean and tidy always.
- All electrical connections in the laboratory should be done under the supervision of the science teacher.
- Fire extinguishers
- Hand gloves
- Eye shield or goggles
- Caution signs
- Seat belts
- Road signs -zebra crossing
- Face masks,
- Dust masks
- Hearing protection