THEME: CONTROL OF CROP WEEDS, PESTS AND DISEASES
PREVIOUS LESSON – BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY PRIMARY 4
TOPIC – Common Pests and Diseases of Crop plants
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
- define and identify common diseases on our farm.
- describe the damages caused by diseases.
- state ways of controlling diseases.
- list the causes of plant diseases.
- state how the disease can be controlled.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Fresh or preserved specimens of diseases.
- Specimen of maize, bean, guinea corn seeds infested by weevil, beetle or termite.
- Chart showing local farm pests.
- Charts and posters of squirrels, rats, grass, cutter, birds, crabs, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
INTRODUCTION – DISEASES
A disease is any abnormal condition that damages a plant, reduce the yield or usefulness to man.
CAUSAL AGENTS OF CROP DISEASES
SOME COMMON CROP DISEASES
- Maize smut
- Cassava mosaics
- Tomato rot
- Root rots
- Groundnut rosette
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Displays and identifies chart showing crop diseases.
- Pupil’s Activities – Identify chart showing crop diseases.
- Defines pests and diseases of crop plants.
- Pupil’s Activities – Define pests and diseases of crop plants.
- Discusses the damages done to the crops by diseases.
- Pupil’s Activities – Describe the damages done to the crops by diseases.
- Guides pupils to collect common diseases of crop plants.
- Pupil’s Activities – Participate in collection of common diseases.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Some common crop diseases.
- State the meaning of farm diseases.
- Name five diseases in the locality.
- Identify two damages caused by diseases.
- List three causal agents of crop diseases.