RELIGIONS AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – FAMILY
PREVIOUS LESSON – UNITY IN CULTURAL DIVERSITY
TOPIC – PROCESSES IN CHANGING CULTURE AND DIFFERENCES
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to:
- state the way t effects changes in cultures and traditions.
- Make a list of different Nigerian languages.
Marriage and family
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of map of Nigeria showing different languages.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book – Basic Social Studies for Primary Schools 4 with Security Education by E E Ezewu, J A Olawepo, C C Anadi, J A Adeyanju.
- All Relevant Materials
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
INTRODUCTION – OUR CULTURE
Culture is the way of life of a group of people. These cultures are vary from one community to another. A good culture is bad culture to another community.
To united cultural diversity, there is need for change. Changes are not automatic but process. These take education through enlightenment, discussion to convince one another and dialogue to agree on issues.
HOW CULTURES CAN BE CHANGED
Enlightening people in school, at home by telling tales by moonlight, workshops, seminars, training, etc.
This is when people come together to sincerely speak their mind on the need to change a particular culture.
This is coming together of people to agree on a certain issues.
DIFFERENT LANGUAGES IN NIGERIA
There are over two hundred and fifty different languages in Nigeria. Some of these languages are –
- Baruba, etc.
MAP OF NIGERIA SHOWING DIFFERENT
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Discusses with the pupils, the aspects of our cultures that are good and bad.
- Pupil’s Activities – Mention the aspects of good and bad cultures.
- Ask pupils to make a list of different languages in Nigeria.
- Pupil’s Activities – List as many languages they know.
- Lets each pupil to identify the location of their language on the map.
- Pupil’s Activities – Identify their language on the map.
- Guides pupils to draw a map of Nigeria showing different languages.
- Pupil’s Activities –
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Marriage Customs and Practices
State the 3 way to effects changes in cultures and traditions.
Make a list of 7 Nigerian languages and underline their own language.