RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
PREVIOUS LESSON – RELIGION AND RELIGIOUS BELIEFS
TOPIC – CONTROLLING RELIGIONS INTOLERANCE
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
- state five of the role of religious bodies in Nigeria.
- state how religious conflicts can be controlled.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
INTRODUCTION – RELIGION
Religion is the belief in and worship of God or gods. There are three types of religion in Nigeria – Christian, Muslim and Traditional religions.
Religious tolerance is the ability to accept that other people have the rights to practice their own religion.
The major causes of religious Intolerance are Ignorance, Impatience, Selfishness and Ethnicity.
The inability to accept other people’s religion practices have resulted in
unfriendly relationships, rioting, destruction of lives and properties, reduce economic activities, public disturbances, hatred, etc.
RELEVANT VALUES OF RELIGIOUS DIFFERENCES
CONTROL OF RELIGION INTOLERANCE
- Education – educating people on the evil of not tolerating one another.
- Law and order – setting up law and order that will will make
- Role of make the causes of religious problems a crime.
- Non – government organizations – they can prevent religious Intolerance by their activities.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Asks pupils to recite National pledge and anthem.
- Pupil’s Activities – Recite National pledge and sing the National anthem.
- Explains what constitute religious Intolerance;
- Pupil’s Activities – Pay visit to churches and mosques and discuss with religious leaders about what they are doing to reduce religious Intolerance.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Controlling Religion Intolerance
Pay visit to churches and mosques and discuss with religious leaders about what they are doing to reduce religious Intolerance.