BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
SMASE – ASEI PDSI METHOD
TOPIC – GROWING CROPS
- Lesson One – Growing Crops with Compost and Fertilizer
- Lesson Two – Conditions for Better Crops
- Lesson Three – Importance of Manure and Fertilizers on the soil
TIME – 40 Minutes each.
By the end of the lesson, pupils should be able to:
- name and describe some common fertilizers.
- use compost and inorganic fertilizers to grow crops.
- compare the effects of using compost and inorganic fertilizer inorganic fertilizer in growing crops.
A crop is any useful plant intentionally grown for its useful value. Plants grown on a large scale are called crops. Growing crops include loosening the soil, planting, special watering, moving plants when they grow bigger, and harvesting, among others. To grow a better crop, there is need for a better seed planted a good and rich soil. A soil that is not fertile can be made fertile by adding fertilizer.
The concept of growing crops with fertilizer will enable the pupils to identify different fertilizer used for growing crops and appreciate importance of fertilizer in growing better crops.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- School’s farm
- Maize, beans, spinach seedling
- Animals dung
- Chemical fertilizer
- Farm implement – hoe, shovel, cutlass, hand towel, etc.
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Lagos State Scheme of work
- Basic Science and Technology
- All Relevant Materials
- Online Materials
ASEI PDSI LESSON NOTES
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 1 – Growing Crops with Compost and Fertilizer docx
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 2 – Conditions for Growing Better Crops docx
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 3 – Importance of Manure and Fertilizer on the Soil docx