RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUE
THEME – THE COMMUNITY’S LEADERS AND TITLES
PREVIOUS LESSON – LEADERSHIP (TRADITIONAL LEADERS IN THE COMMUNITY
TOPIC – THE WAYS LEADERS ARE CHOOSING IN THE LOCALITY
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
- explain the way leaders are chosen in their locality.
- state how many community leaders that are chosen in their locality.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of pictures and drama – class pupils to act as leader.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
ACTIVITIES 1 – IDENTIFY EACH LEADERS IN THE PICTURES
ACTIVITIES 2 – DISCUSS HOW SOMEONE BECOME A NEW PRESIDENT OR GOVERNOR
People can become new president or governor through election. The person with the highest votes become the winner.
Listen the pupils opinion.
ACTIVITIES 3 – DRAMATIZE HOW LEADERS ARE CHOOSEN BY ELECTION – PRESIDENT OR GOVERNOR
ACTIVITIES 4 – DISCUSS HOW KING (OBA, SARKI OR EZE) BECAME A KING IN OUR COMMUNITY
When a king is death, his son or next of kin become a new king.
ACTIVITIES 5 – DRAMATIZE HOW SOMEONE BECOME A NEW KING
Teacher’s remark – President Buhari and Governor Sanwo Olu are example of political leaders while the Oba of Lagos and other kings are traditional leaders.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Guides the pupils to identify the traditional and political leaders – the president and the immediate governor in the state (for example, governor of Lagos State).
- Pupil’s Activities – Identify the president, oba and governor.
- Leads the pupils to discuss and dramatize how traditional and political leaders are choosing.
- Pupil’s Activities – Discuss and dramatize how the king and governor become a leader.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Advantages of choosing a leader in the community
Pupils to mention two ways leaders can be chosen in their locality.