BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – GARDENING
PREVIOUS LESSON – GROWING OF PLANTS
TOPIC – SOIL PREPARATION, PLANTING AND NURTURING OF PLANTS
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
- prepare a school farm.
- planting of crops
- nurture and care for plants
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Garden tools
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
TEACHER’S/PUPIL’S ACTIVITIES 1 – GUIDE THE PUPILS TO PREPARE SOIL FOR PLANTING OF CROPS
- Mark the area selected for the garden.
- Cut and uproot the weeds inside the garden.
- Collect all the weeds into compost pit.
- Make straight beds.
- Rake the top of the bed to remove left weeds.
TEACHER’S/PUPIL’S ACTIVITIES 2 – GUIDE THE PUPILS TO PLANT
- Dig small holes in the soil.
- Put in a few seeds.
- Water the soil if dry.
TEACHER’S/PUPIL’S ACTIVITIES 3 – GUIDE THE PUPILS TO NURTURE AND CARE FOR CROPS
- Water the crops regularly.
- Apply manure to the farm.
- Once in a week, remove weeds (weeds are unwanted plants).
- Pick out grasshopper on the plants.
- Support growing crops like yam with stick.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Guides the pupils on how to prepare soil, planting, nurture and care for growing plants.
- Pupil’s Activities – Follow the teacher’s instructions.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to discuss how to prepare soil, plant crops, nurture and care for plants.