THEME – SAFETY IN THE HOME
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning, Types and Causes of Home Accidents (Primary 6)
TOPIC – HOME ACCIDENT
1. Prevention of Home Accidents
2. Prevention of School Accidents
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to state how to prevent accidents at home and in the school.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of Pictures/charts/posters of safety and accidents in the home and school.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Safety means keeping yourself and others free from harm or danger. That’s being careful not to fall, bump or run into things. When you are not careful from these harmful or dangerous things, it leads to accidents.
Home and school accidents are unplanned events that lead to injury, damage, or death.
HOW TO PREVENT ACCIDENTS AT HOME
To prevent home accidents, we must avoid the following –
1. By not pouring water on the floor.
2. By not keeping knives in the plates for washing.
3. By not dropping peels on the ground/ floor.
4. By not running behind the curtains.
5. By not allowing children in the kitchen.
PREVENTION OF ACCIDENTS IN THE SCHOOLS
1. By picking the broken bottles from the floor/ground.
2. By not playing with sharp objects.
3. By not running on a slippery floor.
4. By not jumping on the desks and benches.
5. By staying away from electric appliances and equipments.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Leads the class discussion on home and accidents.
Pupil’s Activities – Explain home and school accidents.
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Discuss and list preventive measures against accidents at home and in the school.
Teacher’s/Pupil’s – Pay a visit to the children’s ward in a nearby hospital to see the number of children admitted because of accidents.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to state how to prevent home and school accidents.