THEME: CLOTHING AND TEXTILES
PREVIOUS LESSON – The Sewing Machine III – Sewing Measuring Tools (Primary 6)
TOPIC – HOW TO PRODUCE SIMPLE CLOTHING ARTICLES – APRON AND CAP
1. Meaning of Apron and Cap
2. Materials Needed for Making Kitchen Apron
3. Sketch an Apron and Cap for Self on Brown Paper
4. Practice Sewing Apron and Cap to Exhibit their Products.
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
make a simple clothing articles – apron and cap.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
materials needed for making simple clothing materials – apron.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Materials
Relevant link – Third Term Scheme of Work and Plan Lesson Note for Home Economics Primary 4 Primary 5 and Primary 6 Links
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION (APRON)
Apron is a piece of clothing that chef wear over the front of other clothes before you start cooking to prevent the cloth from getting dirty when you are cooking.
Cap is also a piece of clothing wear to prevent broken hair falling inside the dishes.
Simple Apron and Cap are easy to make in an hour or less.
MATERIALS NEEDED FOR MAKING APRON
1. Brown paper
3. thread that matches fabric
6. Measuring tape
PREPARATION OF PATTERNS AND CUTTING OUT
1. Make a paper pattern of apron, belts, neck band and pocket.
2. Straighten the fabric.
3. Fold the fabric into two with the right side together.
4. Place patterns pieces on the fabric.
5. Pin the pattern pieces and cut out.
6. Transfer all patterns making to the fabric.
7. Stitch altogether.
1. Mark appropriate circle on brown paper.
2. Place on fabric, mark and cut.
3. Stitch around the edge.
4. Mark appropriate cap band on brown paper.
5. Place on fabric, mark and cut.
6. Fold the cloth in half “wrong” sides together and press with the iron.
7. Fold and press an inch seam allowance down both sides.
8. Fold the band “right” sides together and sew a seam down the side.
9. Grab the circle pattern with the loose stitching and pull the stitch (make sure it’s fairly even throughout) until it’s about the same size as the band you created.
10. Carefully press the bottom edge of the circle against the open end of the band and pin.
11. Do this all the way around the open seams and sew the two pieces together.
12. Visit – wikihow.com for more information
REVISION AND WEEK 3 LESSON ASSESSMENT
As stated in performance objectives or practice sewing apron and cap to exhibit their products.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. States the materials needed for making Apron and Cap.
Pupil’s Activities – List all materials needed for making Apron and Cap.
4. Guides and discusses the preparation of patterns and cut out.
Pupil’s Activities – Prepare patterns and cut out.
5.Teacher’s/Activities – Produce apron and cap.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. explain kitchen Apron and cap.
2. mention 5 materials needed in making apron.
3. prepare patterns and cut out apron and cap.
4. Produce apron and cap.